Yesterday my honey and I ripped apart our first bathroom in our farmhouse! It has been very exciting so far! We are planning on taking out all of the seventies that reside and put in a warm, clean, farmhouse pallet. We currently have a sandy tile on the bathtub surround as well as around the room. Our tub and sink are a blue, yes folks a robin’s egg blue! (Not really our style) We are contemplating keeping something blue in the bathroom but not sure where yet.
Beautiful I know! We have been talking about our pallet and what we would like to see in that space. It is not a very large bathroom so we want to keep in pretty neutral and clean. We decided to replace the tub and sink since they are original to the home, cast iron and in great shape! Using the Rustoleum Tub and Tile system we did it for pretty cheap! They were only $23 a box we needed three boxes to get the coverage that we needed.
This was a great project and a real-time saver! The directions are laid out real well on the box but of course I can elaborate and give you some extra tips and tricks that worked for us! We bought our kit at our local home store but you can get it here!
The aftermath of the weekend it took us to clean, sand, wipe and clean again before we even got to apply the glaze itself came out looking fantastic and we couldn’t be happier!
After the glaze dried for the appropriate time we really started on the flooring. That was the biggest pain in the neck that’s for sure. Once we drained and removed the toilet we removed the linoleum underneath to find a rotted sub floor that was covered in mold. The previous toilet wax seal was not put in properly which lead to a slow leak over time that created mold on the sub floor. We hadn’t planned on removing the sub floor but didn’t have much of an option once we realized the mold. Getting that out was NOT fun folks. It took some mean muscle from my honey and a lot of crowbar action! Once we got that out we were able to replace that with a new piece!
After we finally got the new sub floor laid it was time to plan the tile configuration. We had already picked out the type and style we wanted to put on the floor now we just needed the design. Of course we opted for a tile that resembled a barn wood floor seeing as we have an old farm. We played around mapping out different designs and finally decided on a herringbone pattern. Now when it comes to tiling your own floor mapping it out and measuring twice is the key to cutting and placing properly. Josh (my honey) is a wizard with numbers in comparison to me so he did all the magic as far as the measuring went. Thanks goodness!
We purchased a tile saw second-hand from and auction and it worked great! He had to do a multitude of different cuts and that process was very worrisome to me as I am a perfectionist. It took every piece of tile in the two boxes that we bought that’s for sure.
Once the mapping was done and the cement board was laid we got to work laying the tile. Josh did a fantastic job and I think I was a pretty good assistant. He was in the bathroom and I was in our hall with the map he drew and all of the cuts while handing him the pieces he needed as we went along. Laying the tile was not very time-consuming it was more about getting them as even as possible while laying the setting mortar down and placing the spacers.
After the tile was all laid and dried I got busy grouting. This was a pretty quick process but dang did my legs hurt the next day….lol. We chose a beige stone colored grout to match the tile.
The floor turned out absolutely beautiful and we are very happy with the overall appearance of it!
Well that’s it for now friends! Tune in soon as we are going to paint and add some other touches as we continue on the blue bathroom journey!
If any of you have any questions or comments I would love to hear them!